Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) Test


Hi. Assalamualaikum.

A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray test. It looks at the inside of the uterus camera.gif and fallopian tubes and the area around them. It often is done for women who are having a hard time getting pregnant (infertile).
        During the test, a dye (contrast material) is put through a thin tube. That tube is put through the vagina and into the uterus. Because the uterus and the fallopian tubes are hooked together, the dye will flow into the fallopian tubes. Pictures are taken using a steady beam of X-ray (fluoroscopy) as the dye passes through the uterus and fallopian tubes. The pictures can show problems such as an injury or abnormal structure of the uterus or fallopian tubes. They can also show a blockage that would prevent an egg moving through a fallopian tube to the uterus. A blockage also could prevent sperm from moving into a fallopian tube and joining (fertilizing) an egg. The test also may find problems on the inside of the uterus that prevent a fertilized egg from attaching (implanting) to the uterine wall.
So, the above quoted text is basically what is HSG. As promised on my previous post, I'll share with you what I have gone through during this test.
My appointment for HSG was at 8.30 am on Wednesday, 08.03.17. I wasn't really prepared for test actually, I just came and did it. 😂

I gave my form and appointment slip to the counter then I was asked to wait in front of one of the X-Ray Rooms. I waited for like 10 minutes then I was called in. The nurse asked me to remove my clothes and wear the X-Ray outfit (I don't know what it's called). I removed ALL of my clothes except my headscarf as the nurse said it is not necessary to remove them. Then, I was requested to lay on the X-Ray table (it seems like an operation table or something), and I need to lay in the position like giving birth. Next, the doctor put in the a speculum (it looked like a duck mouth, if you've done pap smear then you'll know what thing am I talking about) into my vagina to open it (Oh God it hurts!) then, the doctor put in the dye through a thin tube. It hurts the entire time because I think I was panic seeing those apparatus and the doctor was a male doctor so it was uncomfortable and hence, the pain. I can feel the dye in my vagina as it feels full down there, I feel like peeing too at that moment. Haha. I was then injected with a medication (I don't know it's name) due to my vagina muscle was tensed and the flow of the dye cannot be seen clearly because of that. So they just had to give me some medication to calm my muscle down. However, this does not happen to everyone, this happened to me because I was tensed. And that shot was hurt (I'm afraid of shots and needles, so yeah). So, if you're going to do HSG please relax yourself or you'll end up like me, feeling the pain for the whole process. The procedure ended once they can see a clear picture and confirm their diagnosis. Mind you that there will be spotting for a few days, mine was 4 days spotting. I was informed that if I am bleeding a lot after the process I should come to see the doctor, this is a rare case actually. And luckily I am not one of the rare cases. Alhamdulillah.

My result: It is all normal. No blockage as the dye flowed normally through the fallopian tube into the uterus.

I am still yet to get the full diagnosis of my condition as well as my husband because the full result was sent to my Gynae. I will update again after my appointment with my Gynae on 31.03.17.


Love,
Nurul



No comments